Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Lakers vs. Warriors - March 25, 2007

I know this is supposed to be game of the week and the very first post I totally ignore the game and start thinking about the last 5 games... I don't have any excuses but I gotta let it out:

Portland : 116-111 (OT)
Minny: 109-102
MEMPHIS : 121-119
NO/OK/whatever: 111-105
Golden State : 115-113

What the hell??? We're giving up over a hundred points to the "Monta Ellis All Stars"? How did Monta Ellis score 31 points on 6-time all-defensive team member Kobe Bryant? Kobe was busy jacking up 33 shots! I don't think Kobe 's a bad defender, but I think he's human, he can't be all offense and all defense for the game. When Kobe scores a gazillion points and it works for us, the other guys at least have to step up and play defense in his stead.

If Kobe wasn't scoring crazy points we'd be saying "We should be POUNDING the Memphis 's (Memphii?) of the league, and Kobe should be getting rested up for the playoffs". Kobe scoring between 43-65 points is great, fine. No one else was getting it done, LO and Luke are not totally 100% for some of these back to back and road games, no big deal. The problem is that we can't play defense.

PJ supposedly authorized this scoring binge. Zen master being what he is, I think he's doing it to light a fire under the other guys. I really hope it works. I hope this is some master scheme to get the likes of Smush to pull their collective heads out of their collective asses and start playing some hard nosed basketball (collectively). If Kobe is taking 30 shots in a game, Kwame better be using that stored energy to pop out on the high screens harder and recover faster on defense. I can't really blame LO because I think his shoulder is hurting him and Kobe scoring a lot is helping Odom get back into shape (He actually did really well in this game). Luke is actually doing his thing: rebounds, great passing, hustle plays and making a good percentage of his shots.

So in summary:
The splinter asses (Anyone on the bench or not named LO, Luke or Kobe ) need to get their act together and play better defense.
Kwame needs to wear some of those old school 5 fingered baseball mitts on both hands and line the outside with rubber and stick-em...


No comments: