The thing that’s great about a one-point game is that you can look back to any single play and see how that one play affected the outcome. Whether it be a Smush Parker steal, a Rony Turiaf put-back, or a Bynum block (which, by the way was ridiculous), they all had plays that directly affected the outcome of the game. By the way, speaking of anticipation and Andrew Bynum, am I the only one that looks forward to Bynum getting on the floor every game? I remember when Kobe was a rookie and the fans used to chant his name during garbage time in hopes of him getting in the game, because there was always a possibility you’d see something special from him if he did. This was slightly different from the Chuck Nevitt chants we used to hear from the Forum fans back in the 80s when they were hoping he would get in the game and the fans would be treated to seeing something very unnatural and awkward looking. Anyway, the anticipation of Bynum getting in the game for a big block or rebound and follow-up slam is something I can’t wait for during a Laker game. And I can’t wait until we get to see it every single night. Now, am I setting myself up for big-time disappointment when Bynum doesn’t pan out? Probably. But that’s alright. Right now, it’s worth it.
I loved Turiaf’s tribute to Shaq after he made a crucial lay-up late in the game (again, all plays in a one-point game are crucial – see previous paragraph). When Turiaf ran back to the defensive end of the court after the lay-up, he did so with both arms fully extended behind him, much like an Olympic ski jumper in mid-flight. It was the same way Shaq ran back down court after that famous dunk late in game 7 of the Western Conference Finals against Portland in 2000 that resulted in the Lakers run to a championship and the inhumane treatment of an innocent stack of towels in the tunnel leading to the locker room by Scottie Pippen. Anyway, Turiaf’s antics brought back a nice memory. Well, two nice memories if you count the image of Pippen knocking over the towels.
Well, here’s hoping the streak continues. And no, I’m not talking about Kobe’s streak of 40+ points per game – that is, unless it helps…

No comments:
Post a Comment